International Institute of Management >
Board of Advisors
Dr. Xin (Eva) Yao
Board of Advisors
- Entrepreneurship and Management
- Organizational Behavior. Human Resources
Management (HRM). Research Methods. Accounting. Entrepreneurship. Social
- Eva's research examines the psychological and
sociological aspects of the startup process. Her recent work covers
topics such as venture capital investment in the Cleantech sector,
entrepreneurs networking cognition and strategies in different cultures,
as well as entrepreneur identity and motivation. She has articles
published or in-print at the Academy of Management Journal, Organization
Science, Journal of Applied Psychology, Entrepreneurship Theory and
Practice, New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, Journal of the
American Medical Association, Group Processes and Intergroup Relations,
Journal of Business Research, and Managerial and Decision Economics.
- Eva teaches entrepreneurship and research
methods (PhD seminar) at Leeds. She also taught a variety of courses in
organizational behavior and international management
- Education. Research. Consulting
- Assistant Professor of Management and Entrepreneurship at the Leeds
School of Business, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Assistant Professor, Wichita State University, W. Frank Barton
School of Business, Kansas, USA
- Renmine University of China
- PhD University of Washington, USA
- B.E. Renmine University of China, China
- Eva Yao at Google Scholar
- Yao, X. & Larson, E. B. (2005). Acting and
clinical empathy reply. Journal of the
American Medical Association, 294 (1): 39-40.
Larson, E. B. & Yao, X. (2005). Clinical empathy, emotional labor and
acting in the patient-physician relationship. Journal of the American
Medical Association, 293 (9): 1100-1106.
- Meisiek, S., & Yao, X. (2005). Nonsense makes
sense: Humor in social sharing of emotion at the workplace. In Charmine
E. J. Hartel, Wilfred J. Zerbe, & Neal M. Ashkanasy (Eds.) Emotions in
Organizational Behavior: 143-165. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum
- Yao, X., Lee, T.W., Mitchell, T.R., Burton,
J.P., & Sablynski, C.J. (2004). Job embeddedness: Current research and
future directions. In R. Griffeth & P. Hom (Eds.),
Innovative Theory and Empirical Research on Employee Turnover: 153-187.
Information Age: Greenwich, CT.
- Chen, X. P., Yao, X., & Kotha, S. The passion
heuristic and venture capitalists investment decision. Revise and
resubmit, Academy of Management Journal.
- Chen, X. P., & Yao, X. Re-examining the effects
of communication in social
dilemmas: Sustainability and explanations. Revise and Resubmit,
Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Yao, X. (2005). Ego depletion in emotional
labor: The role of humor and methods of
PRESENTATIONS acting. Paper presented at the Southern Management
Association Annual Conference, Charleston, South Carolina, November
- Chen, X. P., Yao, X., & Kotha, S. (2005).
Passion Matters: The Effects of
Entrepreneurs' Passion on Venture Capitalists' Investment Decision.
Paper accepted for presentation at the 2005 Babson Kauffman
Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BKERC), Wellesley, MA, June 2005.
- Session Chair
Characteristics of Entrepreneurs and Entrepreneurial Outcomes. Southern
Management Association Annual Conference, Charleston, South Carolina,
- Session Chair
New Venture Development. Southern Management Association Annual
San Antonio, Texas, November 2004.
- Yao, X. & Larson, E. B. (2004). Empathy as
Emotional Labor: An Exploration of Physicians Identity as Healers. Paper
presented at the 64th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, New
Orleans, Louisiana, August 2004.
- Chen, X. P., & Yao, X. (2004). Re-Examining the
Effects of Communication in Social Dilemmas: Sustainability and
Explanations. Paper presented at the 64th Annual Meeting of the Academy
of Management, New Orleans, Louisiana, August 2004.
- Session Organizer/Discussant
Studies in Latin HR Business Processes. Iberoamerican Academy of
(IAM) Annual Workshop at the 64th Annual Meeting of the Academy of
Management, New Orleans, Louisiana, August 2004.
- Yao, X. (2004). Implicit self-theories and
culture: Theoretical extension and implications. Paper presented at the
Inaugural Conference of International Association of Chinese Management
Research, Beijing, China, June 2004.
- Chen, X. P., & Yao, X. (2003). Sustaining
cooperation in public goods dilemmas: Effects of motivational
explanations and sanctions. Paper presented at the 63rd Annual Meeting
of the Academy of Management, Seattle, Washington, August 2003.
- Session Organizer/Discussant
Management in Latin America: Contemporary theories in micro/macro-level
organization research. Iberoamerican Academy of Management (IAM) Annual
Workshop at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management,
Seattle, Washington, August 2003.
- Yao, X., Higgins, C. A., & Harman, W. S.
(2003). Differential uses of impression management tactics in seeking
venture capital investment. Paper presented at the 44th Annual Western
Academy of Management Conference, Palm Springs, California, April 2003.
- Yao, X., Holtom, B. C., Lee, T. W., Mitchell,
T. R., Burton, J. P., & Sablynski, C. J. (2002). Job embeddedness:
Construct comparison and methodological issues. Paper presented at the
Hawaii International Conference on Business, Honolulu, Hawaii, June
- Ego Depletion in Emotional Labor: The Role of
Humor and Methods of Acting. Service and Support Consortium, Woods Creek
Consulting Company, Seattle, October 13, 2005
- MEDIA MENTIONS
- Entrepreneurs with passion could hold secret to
investing success, Seattle Times, April 19, 2004
- Seattle Times
- Doctors urged to find their inner Brando,
Seattle Times, March 2, 2005
- Acting techniques may help doctors
empathize with their patients, University Week, March 3, 2005
- Research, Consulting, Education. Entrepreneurship/Creativity.
- Since 2006, Eva has served as the executive
secretary/treasurer of the International Association for Chinese
Management Research (IACMR) a US-based professional, academic
organization with over 2000 members world-wide that promotes research
and knowledge sharing about managing organizations in the Chinese
- Visual Village Session Chair, Academy of
Management Meeting, 2006
- Assistant to Program Chair, International
Association of Chinese Management
& Research (IACMR) Inaugural Conference 2004
- Screening Round Judge, 2004 University of
Washington Business Plan Competition, Apr 2004
- Local Event Coordinator, Logistics Committee,
New Doctoral Student Consortium (NDSC), Academy of Management Meeting,
- Business Meeting Committee, International
Association of Chinese Management Research (IACMR) business meeting at
the Academy of Management Meeting, 2003
- Coach, Job Interview Workshop, Society of
Hispanic Professional Engineers, Puget Sound Chapter, January 2002
- Co-investigator, marketing research project for
the University Bookstore, Seattle, 2001
- Financial Assistant, Laboratoires Fournier
S.A., Beijing Office, China, 1998
- Contact information are kept private to prevent spam and unsolicited
emails. To contact the associate, please use
contact us form.