Think Tank. About Us..
Government Courses. Investment
Courses. Corporate Training.
Management Hall of Fame
Most Respected Management Gurus
GE - The Business of Invention (1847-1931)
- "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
perspiration" (Thomas Edison)
Inventor & Businessman - A Rare Combination
- Sells newspapers on the Grand Trunk Railway.
- Works as a telegraph operator; travels across the United States.
- Patents his first invention, an electric vote recorder.
- Takes up inventing full time. Starts his first business, making
- Opens a factory and laboratory - Thus creating the first product
- Then develops quadruplex system for the telegraph, Invents the
phonograph & develops the first commercially viable electric light bulb.
- Opens Pearl Street Central Power Station in New York City.
- Forms Edison General Electric, and invents the Kinetograph (an early
motion picture camera).
- Edison General Electric merges with Thomson-Houston to become
General Electric. Edison sells his interest.
- Invents a nickel-iron-alkaline storage battery.
- By end of his career he started up or controlled 13 major companies.
- He is recognize the genius of his times and credited with life
changing inventions. By the end of his life Edison had accumulated 1,093
U.S. and 1,300 foreign patents.
- He was also a pragmatic business man who realized the innovation
alone was not sufficient
- He understood the value of intellectual property as an assets and
made effective use of to patenting
- He understood the importance of entrepreneurship and that commercial
success. and that he needed business partner
Books & References:
Edison: Inventing the Century. New York:
- Josephson, Mathew. Edison: A Biography. New York: John Wiley, 1992.
Back to Management Gurus
Executive Education and Management Training
- The institute researchs, develops, and disseminates management-best-practices and learned-lessons from leading CEOs and Management Gurus. For advanced executive education and management training courses, please visit the
Management Training Courses.
Management Training Calendar
3 to 5 Days Short Executive Seminars and 1 to12 Months Advanced Management Programs
Management Training Courses in USA
::: Management Training Courses in Europe
January 1, 2022.
(C) 1998 - 2022 International Institute of Management, USA.