- I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up. --Tom
- An after-dinner speech should be like a lady's dress-long enough to cover
the subject and short enough to be interesting. Richard Austen Butler, politician
- Elegance of language may not be in the power of all of us; but
simplicity and straight forwardness are. Write much as you would speak;
speak as you think. If with your inferior, speak no coarser than usual; if
with your superiors, no finer. Be what you say; and, within the rules of
prudence, say what you are. -- Alford
- I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. -- Anonymous
- The only weapon that becomes sharper with constant use is the tongue.
- There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say -- unless you insist
on saying it. -- Anonymous
- The best time to hold your tongue is the time you feel you must say
something or bust. -- Josh Billings
- The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's
observation, not overturning it. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- I have noticed that nothing I have never said ever did me any harm. --
- Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress. -- Gandhi
- Silence is argument carried out by other means. -- Ernesto "Che"
- When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen. --
- The only way to entertain some folks is to listen to them. -- Kin
- Silence is as full of potential wisdom and wit as the unhewn marble of
a great sculpture. -- Aldous Huxley
- Value your words. Each one may be the last. -- Stanislaw J. Lec
- I feel that if a person has problems communicating the very least he
can do is to shut up. -- Tom Lehrer
- Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and
remove all doubt. -- Abraham Lincoln
- Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves. --
- Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard
to sleep after. -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while
you'll see why. -- Mignon McLaughlin
- He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. --
John Stuart Mill
- We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a
false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. --
John Stuart Mill
- Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly
endless. -- Mother Teresa
- It was the greatest of the imperfect ventriloquist acts: when his lips
moved, her body sang. -- Tom Robbins
- The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but
not the power of speech. -- George Bernard Shaw
- He had occasional flashes of silence that made his conversation
perfectly delightful. -- Sydney Smith
- If other people are going to talk, conversation becomes impossible. --
James McNeill Whistler
- Conversation, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and
feasts most subtly on the human will. -- Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
Executive Education and Management Training
- The Institute experts research, develop and disseminate management-best-practices and
learned-lessons from leading management gurus. For advanced executive education
and training opportunities, please refer to
Management Training Courses
© 1998 - 2018 International Institute of Management, USA.
Management Training Courses in USA
Las Vegas, NV.
Los Angeles, CA.
San Francisco, CA.
New York, NY.
Last Updated: January 24, 2019.