Management Hall of Fame
Most Respected Management Gurus
IKEA - Global
King of Furniture (1926-Present)
- "How the hell can I ask people who work for me to travel cheaply if I am traveling in luxury." (Ingvar Kamprad)
- "Simplicity is a virtue" (Ingvar Kamprad)
- Starts IKEA company
- Advertises furniture for the first time & publishes first catalog.
- Introduces flat packaging and self-service in stores.
- Ownership transferred to Dutch Foundation - Stichting INGKA. becomes multibillion dollar company
Kamprad is a brilliant unorthodox businessman who manage to upset the odds and outsmart furniture cartel in Sweden and world competition. His strategy was low prices and good quality through innovations and design such as flat-pack furniture and self-service. Shopping the IKEA way became a family day out, a fun experience.
Books & References:
- Torekull, Bertil. Leading By Design: The IKEA Story . New York: Harper Business, 1999.
Back to Management Gurus
Executive Education and Management Training
- The institute researchs, develops, and disseminates management-best-practices and learned-lessons from leading CEOs and Management Gurus. For advanced executive education and management training courses, please visit the Executive Education Courses.