Management Hall of Fame
Most Respected Management Gurus
(Joseph Moses Juran )
- "In the language of the industrial leader, quality is primarily a business problem, not a technical problem." (Joseph M. Juran)
- Graduate from University of Minnesota & Joins Western Electric in Chicago
- Produces first work on quality - the training pamphlet - Statistical Methods Applied to Manufacturing Problems.
- Head of industrial engineering at Western Electric's
- Joins New York University.
- Publication of Quality Control Handbook. & Managerial Breakthrough
- Founds the Juran Institute.
As an engineer Juran noted that defects frequency followed a pattern the confirms to the mathematical model provided by Vilfredo Pareto, an Italian economist, that explain the unequal distribution of wealth. Thanks to Juran, this rule, later came to be known as the 80/20 rules.
According to Juran quality is based on the three financial management processes of financial planning, financial control, and financial improvement.
- Quality Planning : Identify the customers & their needs
- Quality Control : Develop process and Optimize the product features to meet customer needs
- Quality Improvement: Optimize the process
Books & References:
- Managerial Breakthrough. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1964.
- Juran's Quality Control Handbook: New York: McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- JURAN ON PLANNING FOR QUALITY. New York: Free Press, 1989.
- Juran on Quality by Design: The New Steps for Planning Quality into Goods and Services . New York: Free Press, 1992.
- Juran, Joseph M., with Frank M. Gryna. Quality Planning and Analysis. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1993.
Back to Management Gurus
Executive Education and Management Training
- The institute researchs, develops, and disseminates management-best-practices and learned-lessons from leading CEOs and Management Gurus. For advanced executive education and management training courses, please visit the Executive Education Courses.