Management Hall of Fame
Most Respected Management Gurus
Scott Adams (Scott
Dilbert Principles & The Way of the Weasel
- "To err is human to hide it is weasel" (Scott Adams)
- "My boss is a king weasel, he does not lie to customers, he call it "non-full disclosure"."
Scott Adams, a humorist with an unrivaled insight into management worst practices. His books allow managers to identify these practices, avoid these pitfalls and laugh at themselves at the same time.
In his book he states that: "there is a gigantic gray area between good moral behavior and outright felonious activities. I call it the weasel zone and it is where most life happen" . It is where your managers, co-workers, partners, friends, relatives live (and yourself to some extent).
He identifies management weasel methods for
- Avoiding work
- Besting co-workers
- Hiding incompetence
- Training your wife to become your remote-controlled robot!
According to him, management functions include:
- Avoiding decisions
- Attending meetings
- Demanding status report
- Not reading status report
- Handing out random rewards and punishments
- Scowling at people who believe "Open door policy"
Some of the great management lies
- You could earn more money under the new plan
- We will review your performance in 6 months
- We are reorganizing to better serve our customers
- Training is a high priority
- We rewards risk takers
- Your input is important to us
He provide a guide to stalling and avoiding work
|Exercise||This buys you|
|Lost paperwork||1 month|
|In a meeting||1 day|
Anti new initiative and teamwork advice : Do not get exotic in your misinformation. stick with the basics of
- It cost too much
- law suits
- Safety hazards
- Physically impossible
Books & References:
- Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel, HarperCollins Books 2002
- The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
Back to Management Gurus
Executive Education and Management Training
- The institute researchs, develops, and disseminates management-best-practices and learned-lessons from leading CEOs and Management Gurus. For advanced executive education and management training courses, please visit the Executive Education Courses.