Management Hall of Fame
Most Respected Management Gurus
Leadership Guru -
(1925 - Present)
- "Empowerment is the collective effort of leadership." (Warren Bennis)
- Sets up department for organizational studies at MIT.
- Appointed Provost of State University of New York (SUNY)
- President of the University of Cincinnati.
- Professor of Management at the University of Southern California.
- He researches leadership characteristics among 90 successful American leaders in different fields ranging from Neil Armstrong, The Astronaut to Ray Kroc, the founder of McDonald's
- Publication of "The Unconscious Conspiracy : Why Leaders Can't lead.", "Leaders: The Strategies for Taking Charge". "On Becoming a Leader" and "Organizing Genius".
In His work with and Nanus, he identified four common factors amongst the leaders.
- Positioning & Trust
- Positive self-regard & developed "emotional wisdom,"
"Transformative" Leadership = Empowerment Via
- Significance - a feeling of making a difference
- Competence - development and learning "on the job"
- Community - a sense of inter-dependence and involvement in a common cause
- Enjoyment - capacity to have fun at work because it is enjoyable and involving.
They outline 5 myths about leadership are identified and contradicted:
- Leaders are born not made
- Leadership is a rare skill
- Leaders are charismatic - most are ordinary.
- Leadership can exist only at the "top" - it is relevant at all levels.
- Leaders control, direct, and manipulate - they do not. Transformative leaders empower and align the efforts towards an attractive goal.
Books & References:
- Why Leaders Can't Lead: The Unconscious Conspiracy Continues
- Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge (Collins Business Essentials)
- On Becoming A Leader: The Leadership Classic--Updated And Expanded
- Bennis, Warren, with Patricia Ward Biederman. Organizing Genius: The Secrets of Creative Collaboration . Cambridge, MA: Perseus, 1997.
- Managing People Is Like Herding Cats: Warren Bennis on Leadership . Provo, UT: Executive Excellence Publishing, 1998.
- Managing the Dream: Reflections on Leadership and Change. Cambridge, MA: Perseus, 2000.
Back to Management Gurus
Executive Education and Management Training
- The institute researchs, develops, and disseminates management-best-practices and learned-lessons from leading CEOs and Management Gurus. For advanced executive education and management training courses, please visit the Executive Education Courses.