World's Most Respected Management Thinkers
The Management Society recognizes and honors the work of the world's top management thinkers. A team of our researchers conducted the study. Researchers' criteria for accepting nominations included the importance of published work, media coverage and recognition within the consulting, academic and international management communities. The list is provided in alphabetical order (by last name), and it does not provide a quantitative ranking of the nominees. However the most respected groundbreaking works were from Michael E. Porter, followed by Robert Kaplan. While most recognized names were Stephen Covey and Anthony Robbins, the most quoted criteria by for nomination where their publications
The World's Most Respected Management Thinkers (in alphabetical order):
- Gary Becker, winner of the 1992 Nobel Prize in Economics for his work on Human Capital
- Michael A. Cusumano, author of "Competing on Internet Time"
- Peter Drucker, Widely recognized as the father of modern management. "Concept of the Corporation"
- Daniel Goleman, author of the best seller "Emotional Intelligence".
- Gary Hamel, author of "Leading the Revolution"
- Michael Hammer, co-author of "Reengineering the Corporation"
- Charles Handy, author of The Age of Unreason and Age of Paradox.
- Robert Kaplan, author of "The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action (also with D. Norton)"
- John Kotter, John P. Kotter on "What Leaders Really Do"
- Philip Kotler, co-author of "Marketing Moves: A New Approach to Profits, Growth & Renewal"
- Kenichi Ohmae, author of "The Invisible Continent: 4 Strategic Imperatives of the New Economy"
- C. K. Prahalad, co-author of "Competing for the Future: Breakthrough Strategies for Seizing Control of Your Industry and Creating the Markets of Tomorrow"
- Michael E. Porter, author of "Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors"
- Edgar Schein, inventor of the term "Corporate Culture"
- Peter Senge, MIT professor and author of The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization
- Alvin Toffler, author of "Future Shock" and "The Third Wave"
- Tom Peters, author of "In Search of Excellence"
- Ken Blanchard, author of "One Minute Manager"
- Anthony Robbins, author of the "Personal Power" series
- Stephen Covey, author of "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People"
According to Mr. Med Jones, Editor-in-Chief, no "elite" list is all-inclusive. There are many successful management thinkers who do not have equal media or research exposure. The nomination for A List is open worldwide. To participate in the survey, please visit Polls
- For corrections or feedback, please contact us
The survey methodology provides the ability to validate nominations and allows insights into the nominees' critical success factors.
- Public stakeholders can nominate the most respected companies and their leaders.
- Voters are then asked to give the reasons for their nominations, thus providing valuable insight into what key factors drive the success of these nominees. Questions are presented in free-form and open-ended formats.
- Further research is conducted to validate the entries using sales figures, business/investment analysts ratings, competitive benchmarking and market impact as expressed in the global media.
- After verification and acceptance of the nomination, the input is then statistically analyzed taking into consideration the geographic region, the relationship with the company, the number of votes, the listed reasons and the order in which they are listed.
- When two or more companies score equally on overall ratings (reach a tie) our
editors refer to the number of votes.
In a nutshell, the public nominates, the researchers validate the nominations, and the number votes determines the respectability and ranking.
Other "A List" survey results
- Hall of Fame - Management Gurus
- World's Most Respected Companies
- World's Most Respected CEOs
- World Most Respected Management Thinkers
- World's Most Respected Management Consultants
- World's Most Respected Management Professors / Educators
- World's Most Respected Management Books
Executive Education and Management Training
- The Institute experts research, develop and disseminate management-best-practices and learned-lessons from leading management gurus. For advanced executive education and training opportunities, please refer to the Executive Education Courses